18 June 2015

Vacation Preperations



As we travel it's always nice to have some food along that's been prepared ahead of time.  This year I've gone so far as to begin prepping 2 weeks ahead.  I had a carton of whipping cream in the refrigerator that I had planned to make into scones, but had not yet gotten to it and the expiration date had past.  A quick sniff told me it was still fine so Scones would be the first make ahead, some for breakfast and some to freeze for the trip.





This recipe from my friend Candace has become my go to breakfast treat.  I keep trying new additions.  The recipe is the original, I'll post my variations below.

Giant Apricot-Walnut Scones

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 400.  Whisk first 3 ingredients in large bowl.  Stir in walnuts, apricots and raisins.  Add cream; stir with a fork to just blend.  Transfer dough to work surface sprinkled with powdered sugar.  Knead dough until smooth, about 10 turns.  Form dough into 1" thick round.  Cut into 6 wedges, I usually do 10-12.  Sift powdered sugar over.  Transfer to baking sheet.

Bake scones until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 18 min.  Serve warm or at room temperature.

  DO AHEAD Can be made 8 hours ahead.  Cool completely, cover and let stand at room 
temperature.  I've had good luck freezing for short periods and reheating.

Other stir ins I've tried:
*3/4 a cup of diced candied ginger, 1 tsp powdered ginger and no nuts.
* 1 cup of blueberries and zest of one lemon
*dried cherries, almonds and 1 tsp. of almond extract
*blackberries and no nuts, 1tsp vanilla
* 1 white peach chopped, 1/2 cup raspberries and 1/2 cup slivered almonds (pictured)

From Bon Appetit December 2009

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment