23 March 2013

Date Nut Bars


Things must get so hectic at Christmas that I forget to write about my Christmas cookie traditions.  I know I planned to because I found pictures of them on my phone!  This recipe is one that my mother made up until her last Christmas, when Rob baked them for her.  I've continued, and this easy bar cookie is found on the plates of cookies and candy I give to my friends neighbors every Christmas.  Thanks to my sister-in-law, Mary, for asking for it, which caused me to realize I had yet to include it here.  As I was writing it I realized it was one of those recipes mom did by sight, so no times were included.




Date Nut Bars

Heat oven to 350

Ingredients:

1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 1/2 cups flour plus 4 Tablespoons flour
4 egg whites
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 cups of chopped walnuts
2 cups of chopped dates
2 teaspoons of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Powdered Sugar for sprinkling on top

Directions:

Cut butter into brown sugar and 2 1/2 cups of flour.  (I use the food processor)  Press in to a cookie sheet and bake  until light brown.

Beat egg whites until stiff.  Mix in 4 T. of flour along with remaining ingredients.  Spread over top of cookie base and bake until brown on top.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Cut into squares.

Click here for printable recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment