29 May 2011

Crispy Shrimp Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa

Mark and I stopped at a seasonal strawberry stand on Saturday, after a friend had shared some with me as we drove to the city.  They needed to be eaten quickly and  I remembered seeing a recipe for chicken tacos with strawberry avocado salsa and sending it off to my good friend Candace.   She recommended a change that I made  and I gave it a try with shrimp because we had been eating so much chicken.  They were a success.  I might have to try the salsa on top of grilled chicken next.  I usually use pickled jalapeños because they are a staple in my fridge.



Serves 2

1/2 pound raw, deveined shrimp (tails removed)
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 lime
shredded lettuce
cilantro

Make sure shrimp is clean and completely dry. Combine salt, pepper, garlic and cumin and sprinkle it over the shrimp. Add the flour to a small bowl, and dredge the shrimp through the flour to get a very light coating on it. Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the shrimp and brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the shrimp and let drain on a paper towel.

Strawberry Avocado Salsa:

1 avocado, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
4 large strawberries, chopped
chopped jalapeño, to taste (I used about 1 tablespoon)
juice of half a lime
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine together in a bowl, adding a bit of salt and pepper. Assemble tacos, adding lettuce, shrimp, strawberry avocado salsa, cilantro, spritz with lime juice.


Adapted from How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment