24 June 2016

Grilled Meditererranean Cedar Plank Salmon


Picture from Skinnytaste.com

What a pleasant surprise it was yesterday while shopping at Costco to find Copper River Salmon.  I remember about 10 years ago when we were in Alaska passing the Copper River and seeing the fisherman standing in the river waiting for the salmon to bite. 

This has become my go to recipe for salmon because if its ease and the ingredients, except for the salmon are either in the house or easy to grab at Andy's.  We've always placed a couple of hearty sprigs of rosemary under the salmon which gives a delicious rosemary flavor to the meat.  I think next time I may try basil fresh from the garden.  Last night I had I fillet about the size of a large cedar grilling board and, unfortunately, no relish left over to go with the leftovers. It's a hit with the men in this house.

I had no opportunity to take my own picture so I borrowed a picture from Skinnytaste.com, one of my favorite blogs.  Hopefully next time I will remember to snap my own photo!

Grilled Mediterranean Cedar Planked Salmon

Serves 4

1 cedar plank
1 (1 1/4 pound boneless) wild salmon fillet  (I've made successfully with several small fillets)
1 lemon, halved
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp black pepper (I used TJ's lemon pepper)
a few sprigs of oregano or thyme, optional (I used rosemary and want to try basil)
1 cup grape tomatoes halved
1/4 cup sliced red onion
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, quartered in long strips
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp kosher salt
black pepper, to taste
Oregano to garnish

Directions:

Soak plank in water 1 hour. 

Slice half of lemon in this slices.  Season salmon with remaining 1/2 lemon, salt, .oregano and black pepper.  Cover a refrigerate until ready to grill. 

In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, onions, olives, olive oil, salt, pepper and vinegar.

Place herbs and salmon skin side down, on plank.  Top with lemon slices. 

Heat the grill to medium high, leaving some indirect heat.  Close lid and heat.  Place empty plank on hot side for 3 to 4 minutes, until the plank starts to smoke and gets a little charred on bottom and edges.  (Check to make sure the board doesn't ignite.  Transfer plank to indirect heat side, cover and grill 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness, or until cooked through to preference.

When cooked top with tomato mixture and serve.

Adapted slightly from Skinnytaste.com


Printer Friendly Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment