14 May 2011

Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Chili Tartar Sauce


 These have been a standard for grilling at our house ever since I discovered the recipe.  I love it with arugula, but often use whatever lettuce I have on hand.  The original recipe called for dill, but with the chipotles I decided to try cilantro.  We liked it so well and cilantro is a staple in my crisper, dill isn't, I haven't tried with dill.  I usually purchase the turkey burgers that are fresh, but prepackaged.  This is a favorite of both of the men in this family, it was one of the specialties Rob would cook for Grandma P.

In parenthesis I listed my changes to make it lower in fat.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup mayonnaise  (  I use the TJ's low fat)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil  (I skip this)
2 tablespoons minced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chilies (I add about 1 tsp., because of heat)
1 tablespoon drained capers
1 pound ground turkey
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
4 red onion slices
8 plum tomato slices
2 bunches arugula (about 1 ounce)

Directions:

Whisk first 6 ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (Sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)
Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Form ground turkey into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill burgers until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Grill buns until just toasted. Spread 1 tablespoon sauce on bottom half of each bun. Top each with 1 burger, then 1 more tablespoon sauce. Top each with 1 onion slice, 2 tomato slices, then 1/2 bunch arugula. Cover with bun tops. Serve, passing remaining chipotle tartar sauce separately.

Click here for printable recipe

Adapted from Epicurious

No comments:

Post a Comment