24 February 2011

Slow Cooked Carnitas


I promised Rob I’d post recipes that he could make on a budget.  My goal is to post one a week on this blog.  Being on the computer he’ll have easy access.  When I decided to make this I thought it would make enough for dinner and leftovers to do something else with.  This ended up being dinner, and being so good that we wanted a repeat as left overs later in the week.   I usually just by a jar of tomatillo salsa, since I had the time I decided to try the recipe that was linked, it was good and easy.  I need to use my crock pot more!


Ingredients:


2 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs or pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder 
2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
2 garlic cloves smashed and roughly chopped
1 small onion, cut into 8 pieces
1 avocado, halved, pitted, sliced
Fresh cilantro sprigs
Corn tortillas

Directions:

Toss pork in bowl of slow cooker with salt, black pepper, chili, garlic and dried oregano to coat. Place onion pieces atop pork. Cover slow cooker and cook pork on low setting until meat is very tender and falling apart, about 6 hours (or longer).
Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to cutting board. Discard onion pieces. Using fingers, shred pork; transfer carnitas to platter. Place avocado slices, cilantro sprigs, and sliced red bell peppers, if desired, alongside. Wrap corn tortillas in damp kitchen towel; microwave until warm, about 1 minute. Serve carnitas with warm tortillas and tomatillo salsa.


Adapted from Epicurious

No comments:

Post a Comment