01 January 2011

Here's to a New Year and a New Blog!  Inspired by Annie's Eats I've decided to try blogging about the recipes we love and the new ones I try.  What better time to start than the first day of 2011!

After a week of eating left overs from Christmas, dinners in restaurants and a +500 mile drive home today, I decided take-out food was out! I stopped at the market and purchased a can of oil packed tuna to make one of our new,  easy favorites from last year,  Angel Hair Pasta with Sauteed Cherry Tomatoes and Tuna, forgetting all about the needed 4 cups of cherry tomatoes. I decided to try it with canned from the pantry, only to find I only had a can of Muir Glen Stewed Tomatoes, so stewed tomatoes it was.  Oh well, anything with pepperocini and capers has to be good!

I find pasta to be my favorite fast food when I can assemble the sauce while waiting for the water to boil.  This fills that bill!

Angel Hair Pasta with Tomatoes, Lemon and Tuna

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
2 TBS. EVOO ( I used one with stewed tomatoes)
1 can of tomatoes, or 4 cups of cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 large clove of garlic, minced
One 6-oz can light tuna in oil, drained and separated into chunks (I use Spanish, or albacore in water in a pinch)
2 TBS.  minced jarred pepperocini (about 4 medium, seeded and stemmed)
1 TBS.  lightly chopped capers
1 tsp.  fresh lemon juice
1 tsp.  cold unsalted butter
1/2 tsp.  packed, finely grated lemon zest
8 oz.  dried angel hair pasta
3 TBS.  coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat.  Meanwhile, in and 11- to 12 inch skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until very hot.  Add the tomatoes, until the juices start to thicken, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Remove pan from heat and stir in the tuna, pepperoncini, capers, lemon juice, butter, and lemon zest.  Season the sauce to taste with salt and keep it warm while you cook the pasta.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water according to package directions.  Drain well, arrange in large pasta bowl, toss with sauce and parsley.

Source:  adapted from  fine Cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment